For generations, headstones have been a primary means of paying tribute to our loved ones, providing a lasting marker of their memory. However, in the dynamic world of commemorations, preferences and styles are always evolving. More and more families are leaning towards alternative ways to honour the lives of the departed.
Among these alternatives, the memorial bench has emerged as a notable choice. Beyond its function as a tribute, these benches offer visitors a place of comfort and reflection. At Summit Memorials, a leading cemetery monument company, we’ve seen a significant uptick in interest in these unique memorials.
In this blog, we’ll explore the significance of memorial benches and how they compare to traditional headstones.
Understanding Memorial Benches
A memorial bench, at its core, is more than just a piece of carved stone or moulded metal. It’s a testament to a life lived and an enduring symbol of memory. Designed with a dual purpose in mind, the memorial bench stands not just as a marker of someone’s final resting place but also as an inviting seat for visitors.
The benefits of choosing a memorial bench are manifold. First and foremost, it acts as a bridge between tradition and innovation. While it upholds the age-old practice of marking a loved one’s place of rest – similar to headstones – it offers something that a conventional monument does not: functionality.
As a place of rest, visitors to the cemetery can take a moment to sit, reflect, and perhaps even converse with others, sharing memories and stories of the dearly departed.
This, in turn, fosters a sense of community and connectedness.
Furthermore, with Summit Memorials at the forefront of cemetery monument design, our memorial benches are crafted to be aesthetically pleasing, ensuring that the legacy of your loved one is honoured in style.
Their designs, which can incorporate names, dates and accessories like epitaphs, personal pictures, and more, ensure that every bench tells a unique story – making them not just a memorial but also a work of art.
Exploring The Potential Of Memorial Benches As Headstone Alternatives
The move towards alternative memorial solutions has many families wondering if memorial benches can replace traditional headstones. The answer isn’t merely black and white; it hinges on specific criteria.
While both headstones and memorial benches serve to commemorate the departed, the latter offers an added dimension: functionality. Its appeal isn’t just rooted in aesthetics or symbolism, but in the solace it offers visitors – a place to sit, remember, and perhaps shed a tear or two.
However, the adaptability of a memorial bench in place of a headstone comes with caveats. Cemeteries, depending on their regulations, might have restrictions regarding the placement of benches based on their size or material. These rules ensure a harmonious look throughout the grounds and ease of maintenance.
Factors To Consider When Choosing A Memorial Bench
- Size: It’s essential to be aware of the width, length, and height restrictions. Memorial benches, given their dual function, might be larger than traditional headstones, making their placement in certain cemetery sections a challenge.
- Material Choices: Certain materials, like granite, marble, or stainless steel, are preferred not just for their durability but also for their ease of maintenance, ensuring the memorial remains pristine for years.
- Harmony With The Surroundings: A bench should not just serve its functional and commemorative purpose but should also complement the serenity and aesthetic of the cemetery, ensuring it seamlessly fits into its surroundings.
Steps To Take Before Ordering A Memorial Bench
Choosing a memorial bench is not just about making a purchase; it’s a thoughtful journey in honouring a loved one. As you consider this alternative to traditional headstones, there are essential steps to ensure the process is smooth, respectful, and in line with regulations.
- Clarify Cemetery Regulations: Before making a decision, get a clear understanding of what the cemetery allows. This includes both the placement and the type of memorial benches.
- Engage With A Trusted Cemetery Monument Company: Summit Memorials can guide you through the process. From design considerations to material choices, we’ll ensure your memorial bench is both a fitting tribute and in alignment with cemetery regulations.
Understand The Journey: Familiarize yourself with the process, from design to installation, and set realistic expectations regarding timelines.
About Summit Memorials
For families across Alberta and Saskatchewan, Summit Memorials has been more than just a cemetery monument company. We’re a pillar of support, understanding, and craftsmanship during the deeply personal journey of commemorating loved ones. With years of expertise in the industry, we’ve mastered the art of blending tradition with personalization.
Reach out to us today, and let our dedicated team provide a memorial that stands as a timeless testament to your loved one’s legacy.